Thursday, June 16, 2005
Thank you, Abang!
Ever remember those people who made an impact in your daily life in small, little way? Most of the time we don't remember them, do we?
I met one this morning, on my way to work. I was riding my bike, trying to negotiate a bend when I noticed I was swaying. Stopped at the road side, the back tyre was flat. Sigh.. I'm at the middle of my journey and I can't recall the nearest bike shop for aid.
A guy, I'd call him Abang (brother in Malay), stopped and asked me if I need any help. I know there are a few guys along the highways who find a living by changing flat tyres, and he doesn't look like one. This Abang offered to change the flat tyre for RM25, which I think is rather expensive. I told him I don't have enough money with me.. RM10 left in my wallet. He looked disappointed. He agreed to change the tyre and follow me to the bank to withdraw money for his service.
I decided to call my brother for aid. He's on his way to his work place, and will pass by the area where I was stranded. While waiting for his arrival, I chatted with Abang. A nice person, around 30 or 40 years. Life is tough for people like him; he only have 2 businesses since morning, spent RM5 for the petrol and have to ride all day long for business on the highway. He worked fast, and within minutes he's done. Pulling out a cigarette, Abang waited patiently for my brother to arrive. We chatted for a while, but I didn't get the chance to know his name. When my brother arrived, I handed the remaining amount to Abang and thanked him for his time and service. He just smiled, and zoom off for another business.
Suddenly the hymns "Count Your Blessings" came to my mind.
Chorus:
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
Yup, it sure does, Lord Jesus =)
I met one this morning, on my way to work. I was riding my bike, trying to negotiate a bend when I noticed I was swaying. Stopped at the road side, the back tyre was flat. Sigh.. I'm at the middle of my journey and I can't recall the nearest bike shop for aid.
A guy, I'd call him Abang (brother in Malay), stopped and asked me if I need any help. I know there are a few guys along the highways who find a living by changing flat tyres, and he doesn't look like one. This Abang offered to change the flat tyre for RM25, which I think is rather expensive. I told him I don't have enough money with me.. RM10 left in my wallet. He looked disappointed. He agreed to change the tyre and follow me to the bank to withdraw money for his service.
I decided to call my brother for aid. He's on his way to his work place, and will pass by the area where I was stranded. While waiting for his arrival, I chatted with Abang. A nice person, around 30 or 40 years. Life is tough for people like him; he only have 2 businesses since morning, spent RM5 for the petrol and have to ride all day long for business on the highway. He worked fast, and within minutes he's done. Pulling out a cigarette, Abang waited patiently for my brother to arrive. We chatted for a while, but I didn't get the chance to know his name. When my brother arrived, I handed the remaining amount to Abang and thanked him for his time and service. He just smiled, and zoom off for another business.
Suddenly the hymns "Count Your Blessings" came to my mind.
Chorus:
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
Yup, it sure does, Lord Jesus =)