Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Why you are bypassed for a promotion by your boss?
I was overseas and waiting to board the plane to come home when a crisis happened in my office. Technically speaking, my lead programmer should be taking charge to manage the situation and get the error fixed while I'm away.
However, it was my chief art director who had to step in and manage the situation. Poor lady, she don't have the technical skill set to deal with the error, and had to depend on my lead programmer for information so she can tell the customer what happened. From what I gathered, he didn't even try to help her out, although he have theories what could happened, and my art director would be able to inform the customer since he can't communicate well.
When I finally reached home (on the same day the crisis happened), it's been more than 6 hours since the crisis was reported to me. I did not get any text, missed call or email to alert me that the situation is still not fixed. I thought it was all solved, until I saw missed calls from my art director. "Situation: red alert!" came up in my mind.
Me: "Hello?"
She: "Hi, just to tell you the error is still not fixed."
Me: "I thought it's fixed? What is he doing about this?"
She: "Nothing, he said it's beyond his control. He sent a couple of emails, and called the technical guy. Last thing I know was he sent the email at 8:30pm, and nothing happened after that."
Me: "Hmm.. Ok, looks like I have to take over and get it fixed."
She: "OK."
I tried to call my lead programmer after that.
Me: "Hello, what is the latest updates on the error?"
He: "Still not fixed. The technical guy should be fixing it and tell us when it's done."
Me: "You have theories what could have happened?"
He: "I think this could have happened (reasons given too long to put here)."
Me: "Ok, then did you tell customer about your theories?"
He: "No."
Me: "Why not? At least let the customer know you are trying to fix the error, but not sure what happened and you need time to establish the fact? The customer need to know the estimated time we can fix the error, and we cannot keep quiet, otherwise they will think we don't care.."
He: "I am not the right person to write that email."
Me: "Huh? But you are the senior technical person in office, and you are authorised to do the necessary when I am not around."
He: "I am not senior enough, and I don't think I have the authority to write the email to customer."
Me: "... Ok, then you write to me your theories, and I will forward to the customer. Can?"
He: "Ok."
I was stunned when he said "I am not the right person". I think my heart stopped beating for a while and my mind went blank. I was angry. I was mad with anger when I heard that answer, to be exact. Looks like everyone in office is waiting for me to come back and fix everything for them. This also means the entire company's operation will stop if I am not there to rescue them.
This meant I can't be away from office, I can't take leave, I can't get sick, and worst, I cannot die. If I dies, you have to ask Jesus Christ to resurrect me or ask the devil to return my soul so I can fix the problem for you. Wow.. gotta be an immortal so my company can continue to operate =)
Anyway, I decided to bypass this lead programmer for any managerial position. I spoke to a much junior person, and she is willing to learn how to climb the corporate ladder. I pledged to her, how my boss tutored me will be how I tutor her.
So, my conclusion of the entire situation is:
[You only have yourself to blame if your boss decided to work with another person instead of you, because you told him "I'm not the right person" or "You (boss) are more authorised than me" when crisis happened during his absence and you expects him to come back to fix it for you.]
'nouf said.
However, it was my chief art director who had to step in and manage the situation. Poor lady, she don't have the technical skill set to deal with the error, and had to depend on my lead programmer for information so she can tell the customer what happened. From what I gathered, he didn't even try to help her out, although he have theories what could happened, and my art director would be able to inform the customer since he can't communicate well.
When I finally reached home (on the same day the crisis happened), it's been more than 6 hours since the crisis was reported to me. I did not get any text, missed call or email to alert me that the situation is still not fixed. I thought it was all solved, until I saw missed calls from my art director. "Situation: red alert!" came up in my mind.
Me: "Hello?"
She: "Hi, just to tell you the error is still not fixed."
Me: "I thought it's fixed? What is he doing about this?"
She: "Nothing, he said it's beyond his control. He sent a couple of emails, and called the technical guy. Last thing I know was he sent the email at 8:30pm, and nothing happened after that."
Me: "Hmm.. Ok, looks like I have to take over and get it fixed."
She: "OK."
I tried to call my lead programmer after that.
Me: "Hello, what is the latest updates on the error?"
He: "Still not fixed. The technical guy should be fixing it and tell us when it's done."
Me: "You have theories what could have happened?"
He: "I think this could have happened (reasons given too long to put here)."
Me: "Ok, then did you tell customer about your theories?"
He: "No."
Me: "Why not? At least let the customer know you are trying to fix the error, but not sure what happened and you need time to establish the fact? The customer need to know the estimated time we can fix the error, and we cannot keep quiet, otherwise they will think we don't care.."
He: "I am not the right person to write that email."
Me: "Huh? But you are the senior technical person in office, and you are authorised to do the necessary when I am not around."
He: "I am not senior enough, and I don't think I have the authority to write the email to customer."
Me: "... Ok, then you write to me your theories, and I will forward to the customer. Can?"
He: "Ok."
I was stunned when he said "I am not the right person". I think my heart stopped beating for a while and my mind went blank. I was angry. I was mad with anger when I heard that answer, to be exact. Looks like everyone in office is waiting for me to come back and fix everything for them. This also means the entire company's operation will stop if I am not there to rescue them.
This meant I can't be away from office, I can't take leave, I can't get sick, and worst, I cannot die. If I dies, you have to ask Jesus Christ to resurrect me or ask the devil to return my soul so I can fix the problem for you. Wow.. gotta be an immortal so my company can continue to operate =)
Anyway, I decided to bypass this lead programmer for any managerial position. I spoke to a much junior person, and she is willing to learn how to climb the corporate ladder. I pledged to her, how my boss tutored me will be how I tutor her.
So, my conclusion of the entire situation is:
[You only have yourself to blame if your boss decided to work with another person instead of you, because you told him "I'm not the right person" or "You (boss) are more authorised than me" when crisis happened during his absence and you expects him to come back to fix it for you.]
'nouf said.
Labels: office